Are you a leg workouts skipper?? I hope not. Because Leg is really important part of your body. This reflects the overall progress of the body. Bigger and better legs are always appreciated with positive image.
Here are top five best variety of legs workouts you must perform for bigger legs.
1 . Squat
Squat is known as the king of all exercise. It workouts every part of the muscle presented into our body. Guys! if you want big legs, you have to squat.
This is the most common and popular exercise that every bodybuilder performs during leg workouts. This exercise involves overall body parts but most importantly, thighs(quads, hamstrings, outer thighs), glutes and butt.
Basically, Squat is also known as strength, power and mobility workout. The world record in Squat was 1157 pound (525 kg) which was performed by Vlad Alhazov. This exercise might be the one which can be performed in maximum number of variety and they are as follows:
- Barbell back squat
- Barbell front squat
- Goblet(Dumbbell) Squat
- Plate squat
- Overhead squat
- Pistol squat
- Bulgarian split squat
Benefits of performing Squats:
- Fast muscle build
- Burns more calorie
- Strength your legs
- Helps in improving flexibility
- Squat improves your joints
- Helps in mobility and balance
- Increase your body strength
Things to remember during squats:
- Always wear a hard sole shoe with slightly elevated heel.
- Never forget a belt during heavy weighted squat.
- Keep your barbell in suitable height.
- Keep short distance with the barbell stand during free squat.
- Never try to show off with heavy weight, always select adequate amount of weight.
- Call for support while performing personal record of heavy weight.
How to perform Barbell Back Squat step by step:
- Set up affordable weight for completing your desired number of repetition.
- Lift the bar with your shoulder and keep your hands above bar for balancing.
- Get 2 steps back and open up the legs with strong hold to the ground.
- Keep your chest up and get down straight and slowly bending your knee.
- Squat back up straight opening your knee.
- Repeat same process and complete the set.
2. Leg Press
Leg press is another great leg workout which targets your thighs. This workout is really useful for getting bigger and stronger thighs. Leg press is all about how much you can press the weight with your legs. This exercise is only exercise that can be performed with highest amount of weight.
The world record weight of leg press is 2465 pound (1118.105 kg) which was performed by Joseph Holt ten times in a single set. This exercise is also said as strength workout usually in case of legs.
Leg press targets the leg muscle group on Quadriceps, Hamstring, Gluteus maximus and partially calves. Here are some varieties of leg press:
- Wide Stance (Inner Thigh Muscle)
- Narrow Stance (Outer Thigh Muscle)
- Normal (Overall Development)
- High Feet (Glutes and Hamstrings)
- Low Feet (Quads)
Benefits of performing leg press are:
- Makes your Thigh bigger and stronger
- Makes your Hamstrings Strong
- Builds thigh muscle
- Helps in building stronger calves
- It makes your Glutes muscle stronger
- It makes your Quadriceps stronger
Things to remember during leg press:
- Wear a belt for prevention and more weight.
- Keep your upper body position straight.
- Never make your leg straight after pressing the machine.
- Grab a support handle for easier press.
How to perform leg press step by step:
- Firstly, as always pick a suitable weight for you to successfully complete the number of repetitions.
- Lie down on the machine and keep your feet in perfect position.
- Press the weight high to begin the workout.
- Grab the support handle and slowly bend the knee pressing down the weight.
- Then, press up the weight back to top but don’t make your leg straight. Keep a slight bend.
3. Leg extension
Leg extension is the intense quadriceps muscle training. This is highly pressurized and focused workout that’s why it is called as extension. It is only thigh targeting workout which provides faster result with bigger and sharp thighs.
This workout is generally performed in similar way with very few variety but it is as effective as hell. This is one of the favorite leg workout of mine which shall be yours as well after performing it perfectly.
Variations of leg extensions are:
- Inward toes (Outer Quads)
- Outward toes (Vastus medialis)
- Straight toes (Over all Thighs)
- One leg extension
- Both leg extension
Benefits of performing leg extensions are:
- Bigger and better thighs
- It is good for cutting thigh muscles
- Stronger leg
- And increase lower body strength
Things to remember during Leg extension:
- Keep your body straight.
- No need of safety precaution for this workout.
- Always exhale during lifting the weight up.
- Focus on contraction of thigh muscle.
How to perform Leg Extension step by step:
- As always pick your suitable amount of weight.
- Have a seat and place your feet under the machine.
- Grab the support handle and lift up the machine only with your lower feet and straighten your feet contracting your thighs.
- Hold up for 1 second and slowly get down to initial step.
- Repeat the process with failure.
Click here to check out Best Back Workout variations.
4. Lying leg curl
Lying leg curl is the prominent workout which will develop your hamstring muscle. This workout is the best to build muscle in back of the thighs. Usually it is harder exercise to perform comparing with other leg workouts.
This workout should be highly concentrated and focused while performing. Lying leg curl as targets hamstring it can be performed by variety of ways:
- Seated leg curl
- Lying leg curl
- Standing leg curl
- Stability ball curl
Benefits of performing lying leg curl:
- Targets your hamstring muscle
- Increase your leg’s pulling strength
- Gets bigger back thigh
- Builds knee stability and balance
Things to remember during lying leg curl:
- Do not lift your hips off the bench.
- Do not move your upper body.
- Pull slow and release slow.
- Keep you head down and grab the support handle.
How to perform lying leg curls step by step:
- Start from lighter weight.
- Lie down in reverse form with head down.
- Keep your feet under the machine.
- Grab the support handle and slowly pull the weight by legs.
- Get good contraction and hold a second.
- Release slowly and repeat the process.
5. Calves raise
Calves muscle are really eye catching lower leg muscle. This muscle is similar to biceps as a part of leg. This exercise targets gastrocnemius, tibialis posterior and soleus muscles of your lower leg.
Bigger calves muscle is always a bonus point to your body building career. Every individual appreciates having a perfectly shaped calves. Calves raise can also be performed in many variations like:
- Donkey Calves raise
- Seated Calves raise
- Standing Calves raise
- Barbell Calves raise
- Leg press Calves raise
Benefits of performing Calves raise:
- Stronger ankle strength
- Ofcourse Bigger Calves
- You can do it anywhere
- Overall leg strength increases
Things to remember during Calves raise:
- Raise the weight only with toes.
- Press down as much you can.
- Better to perform without shoes.
- Concentrate only on your calves.
How to perform Calves raise step by step:
- Pick up your weight as suitable.
- Keep your thigh under the machine and place your toes in particular area.
- Slowly lift up your toes contracting your calves.
- Hold a second and go down your feet then get back to initial position.
Click here to check out Chest workout variations.
These are the best five leg workouts that targets almost every necessary parts of your legs.
Thanks for the time. Comment down if you love leg workouts.